Does Your Homeowners Insurance Cover Mold?
Being covered usually is contingent upon the wording of a policy and the source of the mold.
Nasty, unsightly mold can be found anywhere and usually it’s harmless. But issues can arise when mold from consistent moisture goes unresolved which can lead to widespread growth of mold. Coverage of mold damage remediation by your homeowners insurance boils down to the source of that mold. Basic policies exclude damage caused by fungi, mold, and bacteria but that does not mean to say that your claim will be denied.
If mold results from sudden and accidental causes like a burst pipe, remediation costs should be covered. Technically, that is because the burst pipe is to blame. Neglected home maintenance such as a slow leak or exposure to humidity that causes mold would more likely be rejected by your provider.
Prevention is Key to Avoiding Mold Damage
The safest way to avoid a mold claim in the first place is to keep moisture and humidity at a minimum. To prevent mold growth in your home, take the following precautions:
- Lower indoor humidity with dehumidifiers, air conditioners, and exhaust fans.
- Inspect fittings on pipes, appliances, toilets and sinks
- Use bleach and other household cleaners to keep mold at bay upon first sighting
- Ask your local paint dealer about primers and paints that inhibit mold
- Keep gutters clean and remove ice dams to avoid roof leaks
- Do a seasonal check for moisture in areas that are prone
- Avoid using carpeting in areas prone to moisture like bathrooms and basements
- Remove textiles immediately after flooding, mold spores grow rapidly after the first 24-48 hours.
Taking a few moments to review your homeowners insurance policy for language pertaining to water damage limitations or exclusions will generally tell you if your covered. If you are suffering from mold damage and are unclear of your coverage, ask for clarity by providing one of our mold damage experts with a copy of your policy—we’re happy to help. We’ve literally worked alongside hundreds of carriers to remediate mold from policy holder’s homes—we’ve got you covered.