Water Damage Tips
While waiting for help
Even if you haven’t actually suffered whole house flooding, the resulting water damage from any size flood can destroy the contents of your home or property. Our expert team of technicians can expertly extract water and dry and disinfect your home and contents in no time, but here are a few basic water damage tips to help you cope with the mess before help arrives.
- Disconnect power if it is safe to do so. Unplug any electronics and remove along with furniture and any other items that are easily lifted. The faster you get these and other important belongings out of the water the more likely they can be restored.
- Use towels, buckets and mops to sop up extra water or use a wet/dry vacuum if it is safe to do so. If you have a sump pump use it to extract the water. Getting rid of excess water and drying the area out is important to preventing mold and maintaining your structure integrity.
- Drying out the structure is of the utmost importance. Open windows and use fans and dehumidifiers to help with drying. Cut away water damaged drywall and remove baseboards for better drying. Some items will be salvageable, others not.
- Scrub and disinfect all of the interior and exterior surfaces of your home or building.
- Wipe down all household items such as picture frames, knick-knacks, lamps, tables, and electronics with a dry cloth.
- Curtains, upholstery cushion covers, toss pillows, as well as clothing can become moist and mildewed. Dry-clean or launder all household fabrics and clothing to remove mildew and odors.
- Extract water, dry, disinfect and deodorize all carpets, window coverings, upholstered furniture and mattresses with steam or other appropriate equipment.
Taking these easy and achievable steps can go a long way toward getting your life back to normal after flood damage. If you are overwhelmed or just in need of more detailed content restoration of household specialty items like electronics and photos or important document restoration, call us— we’re your content restoration experts.