Can You Get Sick From Mold In Your Home?
The short answer—yes. If you have allergies such as asthma or a compromised immune system, mold in your home can make you sick. Hiring a mold remediation expert for mold damage is the best possible way to identify mold types and eradicate them properly and avoid return. It is near impossible to get rid of mold without proper testing and treatment with custom commercial cleaning agents.
Who is Most at Risk?
For people with allergies or sensitivities to mold, breathing in spores can cause severe reactions and pose risks to their health. Those most at risk include:
- Infants and children
- Elderly age groups
- People with compromised immune systems
- Those with chronic lung disease
Why does Mold Grow?
A type of fungus consisting of small organisms, mold is found almost anywhere. Whether it’s fuzzy patches on your basement floor, black spots on the shower curtain, or slimy orange goo that forms on your drain, mold in your home can harm your health. Mold can’t grow without the presence of moisture so you will most likely find mold in damp places such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, basements and crawlspaces. it’s important to keep these areas dry to prevent or eliminate mold damage.
Tips for Controlling Mold:
- Use dehumidifiers and air conditioners in humid areas to reduce moisture
- Keep humidity below 60% if possible
- Check drain lines for obstructions and proper flow
- Air conditioning drip pans should be cleaned regularly
- Add insulation to exterior walls, windows, and floors to reduce condensation
- Check often for leaks and seepage at your roofline, around kitchen sinks, ice makers and other sources of water, repair if needed
If you are experiencing mold growth on walls, ceilings, basement or elsewhere in your home and you need a mold remediation company nearby who can help, just contact Advance Restoration at 866-601-2736 and one of our friendly representatives will set an appointment with you for mold testing, cleanup and remediation.